Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Introductions and Welcome

On this cold blizzard day when riding is unlikely and lacking in fun, I start my journey toward the highest level of horsemanship. History students at the University of Wyoming are required to take two methodology classes that teach research methods, writing methods, and historical theory. In the first of these classes, we were required to write a paper on a topic related to the Reformation. Because nothing about the Reformation interested me, I chose to write about the shift in horse training taking place during that shift in religious thought and practice. The most important writers of the era, Grisone and Pluvinel among others, showed the shift in thought better than any painting, story, or essay. Grisone tied cats to horses' tails when the equine showed laziness; Pluvinel achieved lightness by working with a horse's natural personality. Quite a shift in thought.

The second methodology course required us to work with France in the 18th century. I continued my survey of horse training from the Reformation into Baroque and Enlightenment France. Once again, horses were the best propaganda available to display the change in values. Now, trainers embraced humanist philosophy and sought the most humane method possible. Not only were methods humane, they were 'scientific'. They looked at the horse's body to see its weaknesses, strengths, and how to enhance both of these through training.

With these two theses, my own interest in French equitation was born. My nom de plume is Katherine Moreaux, a combination of my real name with the original French name of my father's side. I started training my own show horses at ten for the Quarter Horse circuit, though not professionally until twenty. For the past four years, I have trained backyard horses and the various problems they inevitably have. In addition, I teach lessons and clinics. I am a self-taught horseman, preferring to read, watch videos, observe, and experiment due to both finances and the joy of overcoming challenges on my own. In the past two years I have ridden with Clinton Anderson, Jack Brainard, and Eitan Beth-Halachmy, along with local trainers.

My goal with this blog is to keep a journal of my progress and problems as I study French equitation. In addition to updating you on my horses, I will provide some history of various French trainers, horsemanship in society, and any other aspect of horsemanship that seems interesting. Suggestions and corrections are always welcome.

Enough about myself, a little about my horses. I will use four horses: 8 year old Thoroughbred, 8 year old Paint, 6 year old Thoroughbred, 3 year old Quarter Horse. All four horses have very different builds, movement, and personalities. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures and videos, I will do so. For now, I'll introduce each in text.

Acclaim A Dancer (Dancer): 8 years old, 17 hand Thoroughbred gelding. He is race bred (Seattle Slew, Secretariat) but lazy and somewhat dull. He's built like a giraffe with enormous withers. Of all the horses, he has the most training. I bought him as a 3 year old with a few rides and have ridden him with Clinton Anderson and Eitan Beth-Halachmy. He is currently working on collected paces and advanced maneuvers.

A Hot Toddy (Maggie): 8 years old, 14.2 hand Paint mare. She has nothing special in her pedigree but makes up for it with a grouchy attitude. She's built like a bull dog with thick muscling, short strides, downhill carriage, and toed-in front legs. She's quick, athletic, and tense all the time. She has been ridden with Jack Brainard. She knows all the lateral maneuvers, spins, stops, and started on Spanish Walk but still fights tension problems.

Olenas Scotch (Cody): 3 years old, 15 hand Quarter Horse gelding. Cody is cow bred (Zan Parr Bar, Smart Little Lena, Docs Hickory, Colonel Freckles) and the laziest thing ever put on this earth. He's smart and uses it to avoid work. He's physically the most talented with both agility and long, suspended strides. He has about 90 rides and knows basic lateral flexion.

Sportin Epic (Ziggy): 6 years old, 15.1 hand Thoroughbred gelding. Ziggy is very plain, though the sweetest horse with the biggest heart. He has snap and suspension to his stride. He also has some issues of an unknown nature at this moment. He tends to lay down when under saddle. I've owned him almost 2 months and am currently in the process of eliminating physical problems before working him too hard.

Because the blizzard is supposed to continue tomorrow, I will introduce the major French trainers tomorrow. These trainers include: Antoine Pluvinel, William Cavendish, F.R. de la Gueriniere, Francois Baucher, James Fillis, and the modern Eitan Beth-Halachmy and Philippe Karl.

Until then take care and keep warm if you are in the same cold weather as us.
K.M.

No comments: